The Mushroom Ravioli is back! As most of you have noticed, we recently removed the mushroom ravioli from our menu in August. From now until January 4 we are featuring the Mushroom Ravioli on our Chef’s Specials menu! For those of you that cannot make it in before January 4, here is the recipe to make at home.
Mushroom Filling – Serves 12
4 lbs Mushrooms
1 lb Spanish Onion, diced
4 oz Butter
1/2 tsp Fresh Thyme
1/2 oz Garlic, finely minced
8 oz Heavy Cream
10 oz White Wine
12 oz Asiago Cheese, aged and grated
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
Fresh Egg Pasta (see recipe)
Cream Sauce (see recipe)
1. In large, heavy bottomed skillet melt the butter and add the diced Spanish onion and sauté until golden brown. Add thyme and garlic and sauté without browning.
2. Add the mushrooms, wine, cream and salt and pepper. Reduce until almost dry.
3. Turn off heat and add asiago cheese, mixing well. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper. Puree into pulp using a food processor.
4. Cool filling.
5. Prepare pasta dough according to attached recipe.
6. Fill raviolis with approximately 1 ounce of filling.
Fresh Egg Pasta Dough – Mushroom Ravioli – Serves 12
3 Cups All-Purpose flour
1/2 Cups Semolina flour (or cake flour)
5 Whole eggs
5 Egg yolks
1 Tsp Olive oil
Pinch of salt
1. In a blender, pulse the all-purpose flour, eggs and olive oil until a loose ball of dough is formed. Do not over mix, or dough will become tough.
2. Knead the pasta dough on a flat, floured surface, dusting with semolina flour (or cake flour).
3. Cut dough into 6 equal portions and let rest for 30 minutes.
4. Run pasta dough through the pasta machine. Each and every time it is run through, fold it into thirds. Repeat this process six to eight times until a silky and satiny feel and look is acquired, depending on desired thickness.
5. Take 1 oz. of filling and place approximately 1 inch apart.
6. Fold dough over and cut into squares (may have excess dough).
7. Seal raviolis.
NOTES: It is important to work with pasta in a semi cool place. If past dough is dry add moisten hands with minimal water to soften dough.
Cream Sauce – Mushroom Ravioli al Forno – 1 QT
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Spanish Onion, diced 1/2”
4 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 pinch Dry Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Cup White Wine
Qt Heavy Cream
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. In heavy bottom pot, heat olive oil over medium flame
2. Add onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and lightly sauté until onions are translucent. Do not brown.
3. Turn heat to high and add white wine, salt and pepper. Reduce white wine until it’s almost dry.
4. Add heavy cream, bring to a simmer and reduce until slightly thickened.
5. Strain sauce through fine meshed strainer.
1. Heat cream sauce (see recipe) in large sauté pan.
2. Place 36-42 mushroom raviolis in large amount of salted boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes after water returns to a boil.
3. Add cooked ravioli to sauté pan. Turn off heat and gently toss in the sauce.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese over top.
5. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Click here to print recipe!