Today we are featuring a delicious Orzo & Shrimp recipe submitted by one of our guests, Peggy from White Late, MI. Orzo is a rice shaped pasta used frequently in Mediterranean cuisine. This is a great pasta dish with clean flavors and fresh ingredients, a perfect idea for a light dinner. Thank you Peggy for the recipe and we hope you all enjoy it!
1-½ t. olive oil
½ t. dried basil
1 small onion, chopped
½ t. salt
4 cloves minced garlic
¼ t. fresh black pepper
¼ c. dry white wine
pinch red pepper flakes
1 28-oz. can tomatoes, chopped
1 lb. med. shrimp, peeled & deveined
3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
1 c. orzo
1 T. capers
½ c. crumbled feta cheese
½ t. dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. In 2 qt. saucepan, heat oil over med. heat.
3. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3 ½ min. or till softened.
4. Add wine and boil 1 min.
5. Stir in tomatoes, 1 ½ T. parsley, capers, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and pepper flakes and cook 5 min.
6. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, for 2 ½ min. or just till shrimp are pink.
7. Meanwhile, cook orzo in lg. pot of boiling salted water for 5-7 min. or till tender but still firm.
8. Drain and place in shallow 2 qt. casserole dish.
9. Toss with tomatoes-shrimp sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1 ½ T. parsley and feta cheese.
10. Bake 10 min. or till feta is bubbly.