I was born in Sicily and came to America when I was 18. I became a fashion designer and owned my own company for 28 years. I learned the art of cooking at a very young age and this was one of my favorite family recipes. I am happy to share this with you and I am sure my mother and grandmother are also happy. I have modified the dish through the years but the base remains the same. Buon Appetito!
½ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
½ cup olive oil
½ stick of butter (4 tablespoons)
5 medium size cloves of garlic chopped
1 1/3 cup Fresh Parsley chopped (2/3 of a cup is used for cooking and 2/3 for garnish)
¼ cup Crème Fraiche
1 cup white wine (I used Livingston Chablis Blanc)
1 lb. of sausage meat (no casing, meat only in chunks)
1 lb. Pappardelle
Salt & Pepper to taste
Parmesan to taste
1. First heat a pot of salted water to boil in order to cook the 1 lb. of Pappardelle.
2. In a large skillet on medium heat put the 4 tablespoons of butter and ½ cup of oil and red pepper flakes. Cook until butter melts and oil is hot. About 4-5 minutes.
3. Add 1 lb. of sausage to the oil/butter/red pepper in the skillet. Cook until seared. About 5 minutes
4. Add 1 cup of white wine to the skillet and cook about 2 more minutes
5. Then add ¼ cup of Crème Fraiche and cook for 5 more minutes
6. Add 2/3 cup of parsley and all of the 5 cloves of chopped garlic. Stir in and lower heat to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes
7. Cook pasta.
8. You may mix all of the pasta and the sausage condiment in one bowl and serve 4 portions OR you can make individual portions and place condiment on top. NOTE: if you make individual portions, be sure that after you drain the pasta, mix it with a little oil and/or sauce to prevent it from sticking together.
9. Garnish with some of the left over chopped parsley.
10. Add parmesan to taste.