This recipe was created and submitted by Elizabeth S. for our Best Italian Cook contest. This dish can be easily doubled depending on the size of your family and friends. It is a perfect seafood recipe as we enter the season of Lent or for anyone looking for a delicious dinner!
4 Sea Scallops, rinsed and set aside on clean paper towel to dry
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Red Onion, finely minced
1 Large Garlic Clove, microplane grated
¼ Cup Pernod (white wine makes a good substitute)
1 Lemon, juiced and zested
4 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Green Onion, finely chopped
6 oz Whole Wheat pasta of your choice, prepared according to directions, al dente
1. Saute onion in 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp butter until translucent.
2. Add grated garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Deglaze pan with Pernod, cook off alcohol and then add lemon juice and zest.
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Turn of fire and add 2 Tbsp butter to glisten sauce.
6. Lightly salt and pepper one side of each scallop.
7. In a non-stick sauté pan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil.
8. When pan begins to smoke, put scallops seasoned side down and saute for 2-3 minutes without disturbing.
9. Turn once, cook for another 2 minutes and turn pan off.
10. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and toss through, reserving a few Tbsp to top scallops.
11. Plate pasta, top with scallops and remaining sauce, garnish with chopped green onions.