American’s love sandwiches so much that a whole month is devoted to the sammy. As National Sandwich Month comes to a close, a fully loaded Italian Sausage Sandwich could be the best way to enjoy the unofficial end of summer this Labor Day weekend. Celebrate August, the sandwich, and try out this recipe.
3 pounds sweet Italian sausages, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 medium onions, sliced
1 medium green pepper, cut into 2-inch long strips
1 medium red pepper, cut into 2-inch long strips
1 medium yellow or orange pepper, cut into 2-inch long strips
1 (4 pound 4 ounce) prepared/jarred Italian sauce or marinara
12 -24 slices Provolone cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
12 (6 inch) Italian-style hoagie buns, ciabatta or focaccia bread, split and toasted
1. Put the sausage in a 16 ½ x 12 x 2 ½ inch disposable foil pan.
2. Bake at 425 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the sausage is browned. Carefully pour off juices that are in the pan.
3. Stir in the pasta sauce, peppers and onions. Add salt and pepper if needed. Cover the pan.
4. Bake for 45 minutes more or until the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
5. Spoon the sausage, sauce and pepper mixture among the roll halves. Top with one or two slices of Provolone cheese and remaining roll halves.
6. Serve hot.
While this recipe calls for baked sausage and Italian vegetables, you can try grilling the main ingredients for a smoky, sweet, char. What’s your favorite sandwich? Leave us a comment and swap recipes with our community. If you haven’t tried our sandwiches, we invite you to visit the Maggiano’s Little Italy lunch menu. We also invite you to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Pinterest, and watch us on YouTube for more recipes.