Panzanella salad or panmolle is a popular and rustic Italian bread salad. It’s made with day old, crusty bread, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Every recipe is different: some require grilled bread, additional fresh herbs, capers or lots of onions. Any way you slice it, this is an Italian recipe you won’t regret bringing to your next dinner party – especially if you happen to have a chilled wine on stand-by like Pinot Grigio.
2 Cups ciabatta bread, toasted & pulled into 1 inch pieces
10 Grape tomatoes, cut in half
6 oz Fresh spinach
½ Cup cucumber (peeled) or yellow bell peppers, ½ inch dice
8 Kalamata olives, chopped
4 Pepperoncinis, destemmed & cut into 1/3 inch rings
2 oz Fresh mozzarella, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Tbsp basil leaves, julienned
1 Tbsp roasted garlic
1 oz Balsamic Vinegar
2 ½ oz Olive oil
1. Toast the bread in the oven to crisp.
2. Combine the dressing ingredients in the mixing bowl and break up the basil leaves and garlic.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl, reserving ½ of the mozzarella for garnish and toss.
4. Arrange the salad on a plate or in a bowl, and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
5. Serve room temperature to warm and enjoy!
Can’t find ciabatta? Any crusty Italian or French bread will do the trick! What’s your favorite Italian recipe? Leave us a comment and swap recipes with our community.
We invite you to enjoy the warm atmosphere at Maggiano’s Little Italy for your next meal out or special occasion. We also invite you to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Pinterest, and watch us on YouTube for more tasty recipes.